The popularity of Coconut Oil is rapidly increasing and it’s not hard to see why! Dr. Oz claims it has “superpowers”, it is relatively inexpensive, and it is a very versatile product! Today we are going to share five things to know about this so-called miracle oil and its uses.
1. As a Beauty Product – Those of you who suffer from dry skin probably know this feeling, you lather lotion all over your face and body, trying to get some moisture to that tight and itchy skin. It works for a while, but pretty soon your skin is feeling dry again. That is because most common lotions contain a lot of water, which is great when readily applied, but dries quickly. Coconut Oil is a great solution to dry skin because it provides deep and real moisture, strengthening the tissue below to help remove the dead tissue on the surface that causes dry skin.
2. As a Hair Product – Because Coconut Oil has such deep, moisturizing properties, it is also a great product to put in your hair. By putting a small amount in your hair an hour before you shampoo it, you can be guaranteed shiny, and lush locks when the process is complete.
3. As Cooking Ingredient – What is your favorite dish? We are guessing there is some kind of oil that goes into the process of making it. Well, Coconut Oil is an amazing alternative not only for its lower smoke-point during the cooking process, but also because it remains stable at very high temperatures – great for stirfrys!
4. An Alternative to Butter and Fattier Oils – Coconut Oil is cholesterol and trans-fatty acid free, making it a healthier and smarter choice for baking and cooking than oils and butter. In fact, it has actually been shown to help lower cholesterol levels with its ability to stimulate thyroid function.
5. As an Insect Repellent – What could be better than an all-natural, non-toxic bug spray? Coconut Oil doesn’t contain those nasty chemicals like DEET and when combined with other essential oils, can be a pleasant and effective form of insect repellent, which will be especially useful this upcoming bug season!
Pretty impressive product right? Coconut Oil can be found in most grocery stores and even Pharmacy locations like Walgreens. However, I recommend that you buy your oil from a Whole Foods Health store. Get a taste of this super-powered oil – try it out in your favorite recipe or even on your face and let us know which use is your favorite!
Wishing You A “Super Powered” Day,
Dr. Roger Sahoury